Leaving Leaving

Shoulda been a screamer.

Would have made it funnier.

Edge of Sanity Edge of Sanity

How do you get past wave 3?

There's now way you can afford a TACSCAN for the invisible enemies and still have enough money for armor piercing bullets. I've played it like 5 times and I still have no idea how to get that extra money. Am I missing something?

GlueFO 2.0 GlueFO 2.0

A sweet and juice blend of old and new flavors

This game makes me appreciate Asteroids much, much more. The aesthetics capture the essence of what Asteroids looked like, but better. A black and white display in which the brightness is determined by the brightness of the trail (as it would take the old arcade screen time for that area to fade to black). This really, really takes me back, especially when the trails mix. You really nailed it there.

Even the game-play reminds me of why Asteroids was such a success: The game flows with the user's mood and aggressiveness. This is one of those games that can be played a thousand different techniques, but not a single one is "better".
---Let me explain. It starts off slow, each orb demonstrating potential for complexity, but not innately so. Messy players who are not precise encounter very random patterns while playing. Adopt a technique, however, and it becomes an entirely different game.

Sniper: This is based on the fact that any large orb can be instantly with a "charged" shot of 7 bullets. 1 large (1 shot to break)= 2 medium (+2 shots is 3)= 4 small(+4 is 7 shots total). This will leave you with your initial 7 shots plus 8 more (15 total from the 4 small ones), and they will all be in one spot, where they hit.

Because this smashes large orbs instantly into ammunition, there is no worrying about having to dodge fast-moving medium or small asteroids. Just pound the big guys one at a time and you won't have to deal any more enemies than you started with.

This has a few downsides. When you fire a charged shot, you also fire any non-essential bullets that may have attached to you. If one of these hits a sleeping giant, you've got to deal with his medium orbs (which wasn't part of the plan). This may take several more shots which in return introduce error, miscalculations, and worst of all, panic.

I call it "Sniper" because you fire a single bullet in a "1 shot, 1 kill" philosophy, but as you kill the rest of them, they are more easily spooked and will counter-attack if they notice you. It requires a lot of stealth and precise action, especially in getting all the shots in the same spot. It's also ineffective against enemies hunting you.

The beautiful thing about this game is that, like in any real-time conflict, you are free to change tactics at will. Too many medium orbs? Too many evil ships? Switch to a more short-range fast-paced style. Grab a ball, dodge, and shoot. Repeat. This "Warrior" technique requires reflexes, a keen eye, and a steady hand. So long as you can dodge enemy fire, the sheer amount of ammunition you're firing will obliterate the battlefield in mere seconds.

This tactic is best used mid-round, when there is an abundance of ammunition to acquire as well as oodles of orbs to obliterate (Don't you love parallelism and assonance? ;D ). You can't do much attacking if there are just a few orbs, as you will inevitably end up being faced with many enemies with no ammunition to back it up.

By the end of the round, Ammunition should be a-plenty and the enemies are like pigs to the slaughter. I like to imagine a large bloody "Finish Him!" as I collect every orb and fire it at once. It's really cool to watch.

Keep in mind that ammunition is acquired through small orb deaths. This is where items may come in handy. If you didn't have a chance to snipe a few biggies before the mayhem began, you can use a bomb to give you more ammo to fight with. Exactly WHEN to use it is something even I haven't mastered, so use your best judgment.

Shields are fun to use. Fire a few shots, grab them, and fire them again. Don't be afraid to fire them from INSIDE the larger orbs, as it gives you virtually guaranteed hits.

All in all, this game is a beautiful reconstruction of a graceful classic that excels in all regards. Balanced, Beautiful, and Fun. The level of customization is neat, but all ships end up at the same place, making the later levels (10+) a matter of skill, style, and items of choice. Concepts so simple, implemented so gracefully: It's no wonder you got the front page!

squidsquid responds:

Glad you enjoyed the game enough to write such a detailed review :) I certainly recognize your descriptions of the different gameplay styles, although I hadn't analyzed it in such depth. Cheers!

Exploit Exploit

Well done.

Speed test: 9L4,7L4,5L4,3L4,2L4,1G4,0L4,8L4,4L4,6 P-1,7P9,6P-1,5P9,4P-1,3P9,2P-1,1P9,8P 4,9

A fairly straight forward test of agility.

Schrödinger's Cat: 9D2,1D3,1D5,1D4,1D6,1D6,2D5,2D4,2D3,2 D2,2B0,3D1,1D1,2D8,8D1,3D2,3D3,3D4,3D 5,3D6,3B0,4D0,8G0,6D7,3D7,2D7,1B1,5B2 ,5B3,5B4,5B5,5B6,5D1,4D3,4D2,4D5,4D4,
4D6,4D7,4D7,5D8,5B8,4B8,3B8,2B8,1B8,0 B6,6B7,6B0,5L8,6L8,7D0,2B1,0B2,0B3,0B 4,0B5,0B6,0B7,0T-0.25,5;-0.25,5.5;T-0 .25,5;0,5.25;T0.5,5.25;0.75,5;0.75,5.
5;T0.75,5.75;1.75,5.75;3,6;3.5,5.25;4 ,5.25;T3,6.25;3,6.75;3.5,7.25;2.75,6.
75;2.5,7.25;2.5,6.75;1.75,6.5;1,6.5;T 1,6.5;1,7.25;0.75,6.5;0.5,7.25;0.5,6.
5;P0,-1

At 32 turns, the cat is both alive and dead.

Zombie Hole Zombie Hole

A diamond in the rough

It's great to see some foreign attempts at a zombie survival game. Well done on everything. Anyone who complains about the wording of the dialogue or weapons or design choices should learn to appreciate foreign games.

This game is excellent because it is different. Not your average every-day zombie survival game. Silly dialogue / plot, gory enemies, ridiculously low health, and numerous other things give this game character.

Celeton Celeton

Great work.

Good concept, design, and implementation. Kudos to you for making this, but if you could spare some time, I have some advice to give.

Maybe you could up the frame rate? It seemed a little blocky to me.
Let the user control it with the mouse? It would seem more fluid that way.
It could use some extra content. Not that it's lacking any, but it gets too easy / repetitive around level 3.

Well done. This is a solid game. 4/5

Through the Machine Through the Machine

Absolute beauty,

This is quite the masterpiece. Thank you for making this.

Mardek Rpg: Chapter 1 Mardek Rpg: Chapter 1

Beautifully made

It is very rare to see this much quality and effort put together so well. Can't wait to play the sequels. Simply stunning.

Star Island Star Island

Reminds me of LocoRoco

Fun platformer.

BotArena3 BotArena3

The perfect sequel to BA2

Better controls, fixed bugs, and more weapons, this game owns

What I enjoyed the most was the Neverlax "SDW"

For those who do not understand where this came from, please visit this url

shoopdawhoop(dot)ytmnd(dot)com

SDW = Shoop da whoop
Also known as IMMA CHARGIN' MY LAZOR or IMMA FIRIN' MY LAZoR

For those who care, the damage of this gun is OVER NINE THOUSAND!